Febyanti “Feby” married Andrew Chan hours before he was executed for drug trafficking as a member of the Bali Nine. While in prison, Andrew became a Christian and came to know God’s love, which transformed his life and outlook.
Feby met Andrew in 2012 when she visited his prison as part of her ministry. They realised that providing free Christian education is essential to transforming individuals and our society, and so they made plans to start a school together. After Andrew was tragically executed, Feby courageously went ahead alone and established the school.
Today, Pastor Feby—with only one other teacher—is still running the school that provides free Christian education for 130(!) children on the tiny Savu Islands.
I interviewed the delightful Feby about:
- why she founded a school
- what Andrew Chan was like
- what prison ministry was like
- her family’s religious background
- her relationship with God
- how she views other people
- her upcoming book
- (I did ask her about being a Javanese Princess but she just laughed—she prefers to talk about God’s Kingdom!)